Here is my first RPi project: a simple web-based agenda display. My intention is mainly to display the upcoming events in our group. In order to be more dynamic, I add RSS newsfeed from an online news webpage.
The application is programmed such that no (or less) human intervention is required. We only need to turn on the power. Afterwards, it should startup and proceed until the agenda is displayed. In short, the configurations are:
– OS Raspbian
– No keyboard, no mouse
– Internet via Wi-Fi
– Internet behind proxy
– PHP and MySQL server
– Time sync to NTP
* auto start X-session
* auto start Chromium browser in kiosk-mode (fullscreen, no taskbar)
* Auto open agenda page. Auto refresh
* Python script to parse Newsfeed RSS running in background
* To save energy, screen turned off outside office hours
* Updating agenda database remotely
In the next posts, I will describe how each step is implemented.